Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ave atque Vale

It 's not as if the parallels are any less evident, nor that our march to the end of empire isn't any less swift, It's that I'm tired and tired of writing about it: it may happen, anyway. Furthermore, as many of you have no doubt noticed, this website is becoming increasingly out of date, even if it is prescient.

I have not taken down dated pages, written in the heat of the 2008 campaign and even before. This website was first conceived about the time of the 2006 Congressional campaign, in some ways the obverse of what happened in 2010, which was the beginning of the overt counter-revolution.

The 'revolution,' you may have noticed, was limited, and terribly short.

Like many of you, I was optimistic then, that the parallels to the downfall of the Western Roman Empire would prove temporary, once we understood what was happening.

But it's happening. All you have to do is translate Roman Senator into multi-millionaire/billionaire (MMB), and voila! We don't have a Romney as President. Yet, we have the precursors to wealthy Senator Petronius Maximus (455), the first Senator to become Emperor (short-lived) after the Diocletian reforms. Now we have billionaires increasingly assertive of their money power attempting to control government, or to buy it.

We also have a strengthening political movement funded by the MMB class, which exhibits fundamental contempt for anyone not connected to what the Romans called the honestiores, the wealthy stars of the economic, cultural and social firmament. These are the few people who rub elbows, while enjoying more than half of the wealth the poor and wealthy nations of the world are tirelessly creating.

Ave, Atque Vale was what the gladiators are supposed to have said, before the Emperor, or his representative, as they were about to go into battle in the coliseums: I'm saying it in this roundabout way.

I've saved all the website pages, even the archived blogs, in one large word file. At some point, I may revive the website, updated, or dated, at another web-host. For now, I'm going to forego paying for all the bells and whistles, because I don't need them. And, as I wrote at the beginning: I'm tired, especially of writing about the declining American Empire.

I'm attempting again to write fiction. Writing Attila as Told To His Scribes and I, Zerco (both available as Amazon Kindle books) preceded this website, and writing other novels (I hope) will follow.

If I revive this website, an announcement will be posted on this blogspot companion site: http://roman-empire-america-now.blogspot.com/ I will keep this site simply to post, occasionally, about the state of affairs in the years going forward. I don't know how many more years I will have, since I'll be 75 in May, but my mother still can't let go at 101.

So, GOODBYE! But also, HELLO.

No comments:

Post a Comment